Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Titus 2

I know that I blog a lot about Titus chapter 2.....but I just can't help it!!!! It's one of my favorite chapters of the Bible (so far!!!! I haven't read it all yet). Here is what I read today (for like the 5th or 6th time):

Similarly, older women should be reverent in their behavior, not slanderers, not addicted to drink, teaching what is good, so that they may train younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, chaste, good homemakers, under the control of their husbands, so that the word of God may not be discredited. Titus 2:3-5

Let's dissect this a bit~~~

~Be reverent in their behavior - you would think that this needs no explaining........but I kinda need to go over my self. Reverent means that you show respect and honor. I believe that this comes in the form of what we wear and do. Think about it for a minute. Does my clothing tell people that I am respectful of myself and my husband....and most importantly, God? Do I use language that is not respectful?

~ Not slanderers - What is a slanderer? A slanderer is someone who speak negatively about others. This is one of the things that I need to work on. As a women, I enjoy to talk.....and sometimes this includes talking about others. That has to stop!

~ Not addicted to drink - I am Catholic. One thing that that entails is that I believe that it is not a sin to drink alcohol; however, it is a sin to get drunk or to be addicted to it and let if run and ruin your life.

~ Teaching what is good, so that they may train younger women to love their husbands and children - Think about the young women in your life. She may be a daughter, a niece, a daughter of a close friend, a grand daughter. Ask your self: Am I set a good example of what a Christian woman should act like? Do I want her to do the things that I do?

~ to be self-controlled, chaste, good homemakers, under the control of their husbands - The definition of self-control is this: restraint exercised over one's own impulses, emotions, or desires. I think that explains itself! Chaste is defined as: pure in thought and act. This also pertains to the sexual nature of young women. But as a married woman, we can look at it a little differently. To be pure in thought and act is a hard thing to do. Thoughts can run away with them selves very quickly in my mind. I've learned that I have to train my mind to think good thoughts. This takes time, but trust me, it can be done! On the subject of good homemakers, I think we all could use some help in this area......and I'm not going to be the pot calling the kettle black!!!!! Now, the part about being under the control of one's husband is a tough pill to swallow for some. This does not mean doing things that are wrong that your husband wants you to do. It means respecting him as the head of the house. Being honest and true to him. Taking his feeling into consideration.

~
so that the word of God may not be discredited - Now this really struck a cord with me. I never really thought of my sins as discrediting God, but if you really get down to it............they do! We go to church....we join clubs.......we give our money to church related things......we wear good Christian t-shirts........but do our actions discredit God???? Actions are the proof in the pudding!

I will leave you with a ton of stuff to think over.

Comment with insight!

Oh, and just because God gives me the understanding of this scripture and I feel that he leads me to share with you.......................I AM NOT PERFECT!!!!!! I try so hard to be good.......but I am a human just like each one of you!!!!!!

God bless all of you!!!!!

1 comment: