Monday, January 12, 2009

The New and Improved Me!!!

I have decided to come clean on my blog and stop pretending that everything is normal with me because it's not!!!! After I had Parker I started getting the 'baby blues.' The doctor said that this was normal and that if they didn't go away to let him know and he would get me some medicine. Well...they didn't go away.....so I went back and they told me that I have Postpartum Depression and they put my on Fluoxetine (or Prozac). I didn't feel anything for the first month or so, but last week I really started feeling better. I wanted to got out of bed, I wanted to give Parker a bubble bath, I wanted to fix dinner.....I was more like my old self. Well, I noticed that I wasn't 100% back to being Lindsey, and so I went back to see my doctor. He asked me some questions and then we decided to up my Prozac. Since then, I really think that I am much better. If you noticed, I haven't been blogging much at all. Well, I attribute that to my lack of interest in things that I would normally enjoy (part if the depression).
I was talking to a family member and he said that you can't just rely on the medicine to make you feel better. He said that I have to do my part to mix me. Well, I got to thinking about it, and I started trying things that I thought would help. I started by making a pot of coffee first thing in the morning to give myself a jump start. It worked!!!! Every morning after my coffee I feel great! I also tried keeping busy. That worked too.......I couldn't think about "things" if I was busy all the time. I also tried diving deep into books and reading as much as I can. This really helped too. I'm not sure how everyone feels about the "Twilight" Series by Stephanie Meyer, but I think of it as my saving grace (aside from my weekly ACTS meetings at church, they have been a huge source of encouragement too). You see, when I read about Edward and Bella, I am taken away to a distant place that keeps my mind free of the 'depression clutter.' I love it!!!! I go to Forks, Washington and I forget about my depressing problems.
Postpartum Depression is a crazy thing. You hear about women hurting their children when they are like that....I was never like that. I would just have times when I didn't want to hold the baby. I am totally over that now. Joey can barely pry the baby out of my hands now!!!!
I just wanted to thank everyone for their prayers!!! I am going to try and get better about posting to both of my blogs. On this particular blog I want to write about what's happening in my life with me........what I'm doing. On the other blog, it will be solely devoted to Parker and my family. My buddy Wendy is my encouragement in that department....Thanks Girl!!!! Also, thank you to my husband for putting up with me and to Becca for being my Rock!
There's more to come.....so stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. Lindsey, I know what you are going through. It is hard, but the best part is when you realize that something was actually wrong with you and that now you can fix it. I start each morning with a cup of coffee and a nice, hot shower, before everyone else is awake. I also found that if I work out at least 30 minutes a day it really helps. I started that about two weeks ago and I can see a huge difference. Not only physically, but mentally as well. And all it took was a $10 work out ball from Walmart. Your mind can do funny things to you when you go through PPD. I will pray for you and know that if you ever need someone to talk to about it, you have someone who's been through it right here! XOXOXO Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for yorur advice.....I need to start working out. Joey and I are planting a small garden this spring and summer......maybe that would classify as working out! It sure is hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, my heart goes out to you. Even though I've never experienced specifically what you're going through, I've been sad before for an extended period of time...so I can kinda relate.

    All I know is, there's always light at the end of the tunnel! ALWAYS!!! So keep smiling sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Christi......I've learned that smiling really helps.....and having great friends like you!!!! Thanks a bunch for the encouragement!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsey, I came across your blog when I was reading Wendy's (i hope u don't mind me commmenting)... I just want u to know that you are not alone with this depression issue. I have been treated on 2 separate occasions for situational depression. It can really take a toll on you mentally & physically. I am so glad to see that you have faced this giant head on! I was in denial about my depression for a long time, and I'm so glad I finally asked my dr about it. I just want to send you some words of encouragement, it can & will get better. Stay strong in your faith! Isaiah 41:10 says "Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." Many blessings! (I'm going to add your blog to my blog list, hope that's ok!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I added your too! Thanks for the encouragement!!!!!

    ReplyDelete