Tuesday, June 9, 2009

~~Summer Bible Study~~

Here is the 2nd Tuesday installment of our Summer Bible Study "get-to-gether." I'm happy to report that we have 9 buddies that are joining us in our quest to read and study God's word more....Yippy for all of ya'll!

This past week it was hard for me to establish time to read and to study.....we we're only doing one chapter a day! So.....I challenge everyone to get caught up and to stay on it for the rest of the week, and next Tuesday we'll see where everyone is.

Today our reading is from Proverbs Chapter 9. I liked this chapter, but I will have to say that yesterday's chapter really struck a cord in me. Let me share it with y'all.

~~Proverbs Chapter 8:32-36~~
32 ~ "So now, O children, listen to me;

33 ~ instruction and wisdom do not reject! Happy the man who obeys me, and happy those who keep my ways,

34 ~ Happy the man watching daily at my gates, waiting at my doorposts;

35 ~ For he who finds me finds life, and wins favor from the LORD;

36 ~ But he who misses me harms himself; all who hate me love death."
Now, these few verses really put it "all" into perspective. "Happy the man who obeys me..." Think about it Sisters! Are we sad when we do things that please God......or are we sad when we commit a sin? I know that some of my happiest times are when I am doing things that please the Lord. Example-Taking care of my family, reading books (the Bible, Christian fiction) that challenge me to be a better Christian, mother and wife, saving money, etc. Now, here are some things that make me sad (note: maybe not at the moment, but eventually) Drinking too much, listening to music that says bad things (even though I really like the beat and I know all the words.....yadda yadda yadda), reading juicy, steamy romance novels that make me blush (yes, they are interesting, but I mean really, does that even happen in real life???) laying on the couch and devouring a bag of Double Stuff Oreos with a cold glass of milk.........catch my drift?

So, I guess my point and also King Solomon's point is........do the things that make you happy, but also make sure that they make God happy too. Remember that old saying, "What would Jesus do?" (My hubby likes to call that What Would Joey Do!!) Well, maybe we should ask ourselves that question more often. I mean, if you really think about it for a minute, it sure would make our decision process a bit easier.

I hope every one is being blessed by this wonderful book of the Bible, I know that I am. Please feel free to comment and let me know any insights that you have or anything in general that you want us to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment